Friday, January 20, 2017

Will President Trump Practice Patriotism Without Prejudice?

If there's one good thing I can say about President Donald Trump's inaugural speech is that it was brief.


It clocked in at just over 15 minutes.


President Obama would have drone on for an hour. His farewell address earlier this month was more than three times as long as Trump's inaugural.


In the course of Trump's brevity, however, he came across an amalgam of Huey Long (he actually used the phrase "share in its wealth"), Pat Buchanan ("America First") and Mussolini (he essentially promised to make the trains run on time).


When Trump vowed to protect our borders "from the ravages of other countries" I thought to myself, "From Canada?"


However, the line in the speech which struck me the most was when Trump declared, "When you open your heart to patriotism there is no room for prejudice."


That is all well and good but what will happen if Trump is taken to court once again and his case is presided by an American born federal judge with a Hispanic surname?


I can only hope Trump practices what he preached today about patriotism, but I have my doubts.


The onus is now on him to earn my support.



No comments:

Post a Comment