Monday, January 9, 2017

Trump Goes on a Mean Streep

I did not watch The Golden Globes last night. My TV viewing was concentrated on Columbo (the original episodes, not the later ones), The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (not Jimmy Fallon) & Sherlock.


However, I did learn about Meryl Streep's eloquent speech at the ceremonies and President-Elect Trump's predictable response to it.




Here is the most resonant part of her remarks:


They gave me three seconds to say this. So an actor’s only job is to enter the lives of people who are different from us and let you feel what that feels like, and there were many, many, many powerful performances this year that did exactly that, breathtaking, compassionate work. But there was one performance this year that stunned me. It sank its hook in my heart not because it was good. It was — there was nothing good about it, but it was effective, and it did its job. It made its intended audience laugh and show their teeth. It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country imitated a disabled reporter, someone he outranked in privilege, power, and the capacity to fight back. It kind of broke my heart, and I saw it, and I still can’t get it out of my head because it wasn’t in a movie. It was real life. And this instinct to humiliate when it’s modeled by someone in the public platform by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing. Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence incites violence. When the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.


True to form, Trump unleashed his wrath on Twitter stating in several Tweets:


Meryl Streep, one of the most over-rated actresses in Hollywood, doesn't know me but attacked last night at the Golden Globes. She is a Hillary flunky who lost big. For the 100th time, I never "mocked" a disabled reporter (would never do that) but simply showed him "groveling" when he totally changed a 16 year old story that he had written in order to make me look bad. Just more very dishonest media!


Well, please see for yourself




Of course, Donald Trump mocked Serge Kovaleski. That's what he does and sadly some people get a rush from it. Trump's apologists can deny it ever happened all they want, but it happened and they're just fine with it.


Well, I'm not fine with it. The Kovaleski incident was among my ten reasons I could not vote for Trump. The President-Elect's ongoing cruelty and dishonesty in this matter tells me I made the right decision.


Not surprisingly, Trump went on a mean streak. Or should I say a Mean Streep? She called Streep and her acting career overrated. So what else is new? At least she's in good company. George Will, Jerry Seinfeld, Charles Krauthammer, Megyn Kelly and the cast of Hamilton are all overrated in Trump's book. Well, there are a lot of people out here who think Donald Trump is pretty overrated.


Trump can say what he will about Streep's acting. Ditto for his supporters. She's got those Oscars to back her up.


As for Trump, he might own a lot of buildings but he's got a very weak foundation.









No comments:

Post a Comment