Wednesday, January 18, 2017

In Final Press Conference, Obama Defends Manning Commutation, Invokes Jim Crow & Slavery on Voter ID & Sticks It To Israel One More Time

President Obama was in self-righteous form in his final press conference on Wednesday.

Obama began by defending his decision to commute the sentence of Bradley Manning (a.k.a. Chelsea Manning). He claimed that Manning had "served a tough prison sentence" and even said the sentence "was very disproportionate relative to what other leakers had received." Manning's "leaks" endangered the lives of American diplomats and soldiers and our Allies.

I still suspect Obama commuted Manning's sentence due to his gender reassignment surgery. But if I'm an American soldier, diplomat or American ally I am glad Obama is leaving because it is clear he does not have their interests at heart.

If that weren't enough Obama said voter ID laws "traces directly back to Jim Crow and the legacy of slavery" claiming these laws make it harder to vote. I defy Obama to present me with one person who has been deprived of the right to vote because of voter ID laws.

Of course, Obama wouldn't be Obama if he didn't take a pot shot at Israel. He called President-Elect Trump's proposal to move the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem as "explosive". I think Obama made things in the Middle East plenty "explosive" be it in Iraq, Syria or Libya. I was also struck by the fact that Obama said "if you're going to make big shifts in policy...you want to be intentional about it." Well, I think Obama has been plenty intentional where it concerns Israel, the Iran nuclear deal and the Russian reset and all have been, to quote Trump, a disaster.

As much as I am not looking forward to Trump's reign, I am glad we will be rid this meddlesome President in less than 36 hours from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment