Sunday, September 18, 2016

Jerry Corbetta, R.I.P.

Jerry Corbetta, lead singer and keyboardist for the 1970's rock group Sugarloaf, passed away on Friday (on my birthday) of Pick's Disease (a condition similar to Alzheimer's). The disease stopped Corbetta's music career in 2009. Corbetta was 68.

Based in Denver, Sugarloaf would score two hits during the '70's. First came "Green Eyed Lady" in 1970 and five years later they would score another hit with "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You".

Guitar might be what draws most people to rock 'n roll, but for me nothing is more powerful than the keyboards be it Alan Price in The Animals' "House of the Rising Sun" or Rod Argent in The Zombies' "She's Not There". Corbetta's keyboards on "Green Eyed Lady" is right up there and hit me the very first time I heard the song more than 30 years ago. Here is the long version of the song which runs just under seven minutes. It is well worth the time to listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment