Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Three Cheers for Carhartt!!!

After the Supreme Court struck down the Biden Administration's vaccine mandate, I wrote, "One can only hope that most businesses will have the good sense to maintain such provisions even without a federal mandate."

One such business with good sense is Carhartt, a Michigan based outdoor apparel company. In a leaked email to employees, Carhartt CEO Mark Valade wrote:

We, and the medical community, continue to believe vaccines are necessary to ensure a safe working environment for every associate and even perhaps their households. While we appreciate that there may be differing views, workplace safety is an area where we and the union that represents our associates cannot compromise. An unvaccinated workforce is both a people and business risk that our company is unwilling to take.

The leaked letter trended on Twitter this morning. I say three cheers for Carhartt!!! Needless to say, this was not the mood of right-wing anti-vaxxers now want Carhartt driven out of business. One tweet which stood out to me was one composed by Tim Pool, some "citizen journalist" who likes to use the word dude a lot. But then again he does have almost a million followers:

How about this. If you don't want to get vaccinated and you work at Carhartt. Fucking quit. Fuck 'em.

My response:

If that's the case I guess that means Carhartt will be hiring & responsible people will be more than happy to reply. 

OK, I ought to have wrote apply rather than reply, but I think I made my meaning loud and clear. Well, of course, there was one right-wing anti-vaxxer in particular who doesn't like my last name. Alas this comes with the territory.  

That would one encourage people to quit their job because he opposes life saving vaccines says a great deal more about the Tim Pools of the world than it does of Mark Valades of the world. Anyone working at Carhartt who would see fit to risk both their life and livelihood and take the word of a journalist who cannot write in complete sentences at face value could only be called a fool. 

I can only hope that no one working at Carhartt will give Tim Pool a moment's thought. But if that were to happen I have no doubt there are responsible people out there who would be more than happy to take their place.

No comments:

Post a Comment