Friday, January 7, 2022

I've Seen More Snow But This is The Most Snow I've Seen in a Long Time


I'm not exactly sure how much snow fell in and around Boston. Somewhere between 6 to 12 inches. Having been born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario I've seen a lot of snow. Our winters lasted from about October to May. Then there's my near decade in Ottawa and in my first stint in Boston which lasted 18 1/2 years. The winter of 2014-2015 was the snowiest in Boston's history. I've seen a lot more snow than I saw today. But it is the most snow I've seen in about five years. 

I'm sure today's snowfall stick out because it is probably the first time in five years that I took it upon myself to shovel snow. It also stuck out because it only snowed once during my two plus years in New York City and that was mostly slush which got my feet soaking wet. In Atlanta, I saw frost but no snow. Being back in Boston, I've seen a couple of dustings but I haven't seen snow which stayed on the ground. Until today. My co-worker told me it would probably snow at about 3 a.m. I awoke at that time and saw nothing and went back to sleep. About 90 minutes I awoke again and everything was covered in white. 

For the benefit of my landlady, I took it upon myself to shovel the stairs, the sidewalk and the path leading to the garbage and recycling bins to the side of the house. Fortunately, it was light, fluffy snow. But it fell fast. 

Walking to the T took me back to walking to Ogden Community School in Thunder Bay when I would often walk in knee deep snow in temperatures ranging between minus 20 and 40 Celsius. My old instincts kicked in. I have been well trained to handle winter weather. The same cannot be said for summer especially as it seems to get hotter every year

This past summer seemed to drag on in no small part to living in Atlanta where I started to see 80 degree days at the end of February. By the time I left on Memorial Day Weekend, it was consistently in the 90 degree range and as my landlady in Atlanta told me, "It hasn't got hot yet."

So yes I'll take the snow. Of course, I might not be so cheerful if I have to get up early to shovel another half dozen times. But I know I will also feel I have done something productive. If there is more snow to come then I'll be ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment