Monday, January 24, 2022

My 2022 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot (If I Were a BBWAA Member)

Tomorrow, the BBWAA will announce the results of its vote. In 2021, no player reached the 75% threshold required for induction. If I were a BBWAA member this would be my ballot:

 1. David Ortiz

 2. Curt Schilling

 3. Barry Bonds

 4. Roger Clemens

 5. Jeff Kent

 6. Todd Helton

 7. Scott Rolen

 8. Torii Hunter

 9. Andruw Jones

10. Billy Wagner

My ballot is almost identical to the one I listed for the Class of 2021. The only addition is David Ortiz who is in his first year of eligibility and is expected to be inducted

This meant I had to drop someone from my ballot - something I haven't done before. Although Curt Schilling requested that no one vote for him in his final year on the ballot, I kept him on my list. However odious I find his politics, I am keeping firm that politics should not play a role in his worthiness for his contributions on the pitcher's mound

Instead, I have decided to drop Omar Vizquel from my ballot. A year ago, I characterized him as a "non-controversial player". That didn't age well. A month after I wrote that, Vizquel was accused by his wife of domestic abuse. Then last summer he was named in a civil suit by an autistic batboy accusing him of sexual harassment. Now it's entirely possible that he's been wronged in both these matters. Should that come to pass I would consider putting him back on my ballot as he has five more years of eligibility. But in light of these serious matters someone had to make room for Big Papi and I am far from alone in making this choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment