Monday, April 29, 2019

Renewing Acquaintances with Glenda Jackson at The 92 St. Y

Tonight, I spoke with Glenda Jackson for the first time in 24 years.

Now you might ask how I managed to be acquainted with a two time Academy Award winner, Tony Award winner and star of the Broadway production of King Lear got to know Glenda Jackson in the first place.

My acquaintance with Glenda in her early days as the Labour MP for Hampstead & Highgate. I spent the early part of 1995 in London working as a parliamentary intern for two Labour MPs, the first of which was Tessa Jowell (who sadly passed away nearly a year ago of a brain tumor). Glenda's office was opposite of Tessa's.

I knew Glenda was an Academy Award winner and had remembered her as a guest host on The Muppet Show. My proximity to her made me want to initiate some sort of conversation, but I wasn't sure how to break ice.

As it turned out, Glenda broke it for me. She came by Tessa's office and addressed Andy Burnham (who is now the Mayor of Manchester). "Do we have a foreigner in our midst?" she asked Andy. Upon replying that I hailed from Canada, Glenda, "Ah, a colonial no less."

Naturally, I recounted this story tonight during the all too brief Q&A session during an appearance at the 92nd Street Y too much uproarious laughter. I aroused further laughter when Glenda asked me, "What you are doing now?" "Not much," I retorted. But I did manage to thank her for taking the time to talk with me and being one of the best experiences I had during my time in London. It was a very nice moment.

One of the things we did discuss while I was in London was her time on The Muppet Show and I asked her to share her experiences on the show. She said she was and remained awed at how the Muppeteers managed to manipulate their characters whilst lying on their backs and in other equally uncomfortable positions for extended periods of time and in the course of their work making the Muppets the most human part of the show.

Glenda's voice is as powerful and resonant as ever and the stage is a better place now that she's back on it. That voice was on full display as she was interviewed by film historian Annette Insdorf who tried to steer the conversation into a women in film/feminist theme and Glenda wasn't having it. Of course, while Glenda is certainly a left-wing feminist, she has the ability to look at the bigger picture. Glenda said, "Human nature is immutable. While we should certainly try to change for the better there are Shakespeare's three questions we cannot answer. Who we are? What we are? And why we are here? Acting is about life and death."

A vast majority of the questions from the audience were about politics. More than five years after her death, Glenda still loathes Margaret Thatcher and said that she decided to run for the House of Commons when Thatcher proclaimed "there is no such thing as society." However, she was far more compassionate towards current British PM Theresa May and was appalled by the treatment she is currently receiving from Tory and Labour MPs alike calling her "the only adult in the room" where it concerned Brexit. However, when it came to American politics, she diplomatically declined to answer stating that she is "a guest in your country." Whatever her views of American politics, she has nothing but kind words for Americans themselves calling us, "The kindness, warmest, more generous people I have known."

Frankly, I don't think she remembered me. This is understandable. After all, the events I described occurred nearly a quarter century ago. Glenda turns 83 a week from Thursday. In her time as an actress and a parliamentarian, she has literally encountered thousands of admirers and detractors and it would be a lot to ask for her to remember one fellow from Thunder Bay, Ontario who crossed paths with her when John Major was Prime Minister. Indeed, as time goes on, I find it difficult to remember things which took place last week much less in 1995. But some things aren't so easily forgotten. If nothing else, about a half dozen or so members of the audience approached me to tell me they appreciated my contribution.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm glad I got the chance to renew acquaintances with Glenda Jackson, to share my experiences that I had with her with a large group of people, to get a good laugh and a few words of kindness from strangers.

King Lear is playing at the Cort Theatre through July 7th. I shall certainly take in a performance for the thrill of seeing her on stage and any other experiences and new acquaintances which may come of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment