Monday, May 14, 2018

Tessa Jowell, R.I.P.

A short time ago, I learned that Tessa Jowell, the former Labour MP, cabinet minister and later Baroness, died on Saturday of an aggressive form of brain cancer. She was 70.

Jowell was probably best known for being the Secretary of State of Culture, Media and Sport in Tony Blair's cabinet from 2001 to 2007 playing the key role in London's successful bid for the 2012 Olympics.

In early 1995, I worked for her as a parliamentary intern. I'm sorry to say it wasn't a very good experience for reasons I shall not get into here. I subsequently interned for Jimmy Wray which worked out better for all parties concerned. He passed away almost five years ago and now she too is gone. My time in London was more than half a lifetime ago yet in many other respects it seems like only a fortnight ago. It is but a reminder that our time here is limited and that a quarter century can sneak up on you.

Our time is finite. Unfortunately for some when the end comes there is a great deal of pain and suffering that is endured and this appears to have been the case here. Whatever our differences I don't wish that kind of pain and suffering on anyone and can only hope she is at peace now. R.I.P.



No comments:

Post a Comment