Sunday, December 17, 2023

Remy The Cat Is The Only Good Thing About Harvard

 


As some of you know might know, I reside in Cambridge, Massachusetts and live about a 15-minute walk away from the main campus of Harvard University.

Since Hamas attack of Israel on October 7th, Harvard has been one of the epicenters in the surge of anti-Semitism in the United States with various student organizations condoning the attacks while simultaneously blaming Israel for it. 

From the outset, Harvard President Claudine Gay has been unwilling to unequivocally condemn anti-Semitism on campus and has been unwilling to discipline those who bully, harass and intimidate Jewish students up to and including her embarrassing testimony before Congress earlier this month as well as of that MIT President Sally Kornbluth and UPenn President Liz Magill, who subsequently resigned. The only thing which has been unequivocal is Harvard standing behind Gay. Meanwhile, the threats of genocide against Jews continue with acts such as the occupation of Widener Library

Frankly, the only good thing about Harvard is Remy the Cat who has been a fixture on campus for the better part of the past decade. If it weren't for Remy, then I would avoid Harvard altogether.

Since my return to the area in May 2021, I have had the privilege of seeing Remy five times. One of those privileges took place yesterday afternoon. Three of the previous four times I saw Remy was in and around the Barker Center. I was on my way to the Barker Center when I saw Remy emerge from the Lamont Library. It was the first time I had seen him in over a year. 

Remy made his way towards me. A small crowd soon formed, and a photo shoot ensued. Those who dwell on campus know of Remy's legend. Yet there are those who don't know of Remy. One woman was astonished at the sight asking, "Is that a cat?" "It sure is. It's Remy," I replied before Remy made his way down the stairs to Harvard Yard.

Seeing a cat stroll the campus of the oldest university in the United States of his own volition is a sight to behold. One cannot help but stop and look in wonder and amusement. Not only does the sight of Remy bring me joy it also brings me joy to see the joy he brings out in other people. Remy is probably the only thing which could prompt those on either side of the Israel-Hamas War to set aside their differences - even if only for a minute or two.

Needless to say, joy has been in very short supply at Harvard over the past couple of months and this is unlikely to change so long as President Gay remains in office and anti-Semitism is tolerated on campus. 

If not for Remy, then I dare say there would be no joy at Harvard at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment