Friday, October 9, 2020

Imagine Being Neighbors with John Lennon

 

Today would have been John Lennon's 80th birthday. Naturally one cannot help but wonder what contributions Lennon would have made to world of music and politics if he was still among us.

On a more personal level, I often imagine being neighbors with John Lennon if he was still here today. After all, I live on New York's Upper West Side a short distance from his abode at The Dakota. I cannot help but think that my Dad and I might have bumped into him and Yoko in Central Park or perhaps near Zabar's (where we bumped into Jackie Mason last year). I can very easily imagine my Dad shooting the shit with Lennon as Yoko and I look on helplessly. Alas this would not be part of my New York story. 

I did make a point of visiting Strawberry Fields in Central Park this afternoon and briefly listened to some people play "I've Got a Feeling" from Let it Be. There was also a John Lennon impersonator nearby who was complaining no one was paying attention to him. It might have had something to do with the fact he wanted everyone to take off their masks. While tomorrow never knows, I suspect the real John Lennon would have told him, "Give masks a chance."

These visitors to Central Park were fortunate to have an audience with John Lennon and wish him a happy birthday while he devised his mind games.




No comments:

Post a Comment