Friday, October 2, 2020

A Thought for Rick Moranis (and for Myself)


I awoke to the news that actor Rick Moranis was randomly punched in the face while walking along Central Park West near West 70th Street yesterday morning.

Obviously this attack was heinous regardless of the identity of the victim. Indeed, I'm the sure attacker had no idea the man he punched appeared in Ghostbusters or Honey, I Shrunk The Kids. Yet Moranis, 67, is an unusually beloved public figure despite the fact he has not appeared in a film in nearly 25 years. Indeed, Moranis has largely given up the celebrity life to raise his family since the death of his wife. 

Moranis was treated for his injuries, but is reportedly "fine" now. Although I'm sure he'll walk around the Upper West Side with more caution for a long time to come.

Naturally, I can't help but think of myself as I have often walked the same stretch of sidewalk. Indeed, not long ago I was confronted by an aggressive panhandler on that very block not very long ago. I managed to walk away from the situation unscathed. But yes it could have very easily been me. Or my Dad.

Of course, this kind of thing can happen anywhere, but such an incident stands out in one's mind if it occurs on familiar terrain. As such I shall now associate that portion of Central Park West with the attack on Moranis just as I associate a portion of Boylston Street that I walked thousands of time with the Boston Marathon terrorist attacks. 

At least in this case, Rick Moranis is still alive and hopefully he will along Central Park West again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment