Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Indians Manager Francona & Star Player Lindor Support Team Name Change

Both Cleveland Indians manager Terry Francona and his star player Francisco Lindor have come out in support of the team changing its name.

Francona, who has managed the Indians since 2013 and led the team to an AL pennant in 2016, spoke about the subject via a Zoom call this past Sunday:

I think it's time to move forward. I've been thinking about it and been thinking about it before we put out that statement. I know in the past, when I've been asked about, whether it's our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we're never trying to be disrespectful.

And I still feel that way. But I don't think that's a good enough answer today. I think it's time to move forward. It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate.

For his part, Lindor stated, "If changing the name brings more love and peace to society, I'm open to listening to the change of the name. Society is shifting, and we are due for some change. I'm open to listen for a change of the name."

From where I sit neither Francona nor Lindor have much of a compelling argument. Francona doesn't have a problem with the team name. If he did then he certainly would not have agreed to associate himself with the Indians. Tito just sees the writing on the wall and is going along to get along.

As for Lindor, I think he is well meaning when he speaks of his hope of bringing more love and peace to society. Yet as I argued the other day I don't see how changing the name of the Cleveland Indians is going to improve the lives of Native Americans. Nor do I see how renaming the Indians is going to "bring more love and peace to society" much less inner city neighborhoods in Cleveland where 20 people got shot with three losing their lives in the space of 9 hours during the Fourth of July weekend. Under the circumstances what the Cleveland baseball club calls itself is the least of the city's problems much less that of the country. I don't see this state of affairs changing whether the Cleveland Indians call themselves the Cleveland Spiders or if the Cleveland Browns call themselves the Cleveland Blues. 

In Lindor's case the question remains how long he will remain with the club. He is eligible for arbitration in 2021 and becomes a free agent after 2022. Consequently the 26-year old Puerto Rican born shortstop has been the subject of persistent trade rumors. The Cleveland Indians might very well change their name, but by the time they do there's a good chance Lindor won't be around to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment