Monday, July 25, 2022

Paul Sorvino, R.I.P.

Actor Paul Sorvino, best known for playing Detective Phil Cerretta during the second season of Law & Order and mobster Paulie Cicero in Goodfellas, passed away of natural causes today. He was 83. Sorvino's death comes less than two months after the death of his Goodfellas co-star Ray Liotta. 

The film I remember him from was one of his few in a lead role called Slow Dancing in the Big City. Released in 1978, Sorvino plays a newspaper reporter who falls in love with a ballerina (played by real life Canadian ballerina Anne Ditchburn) who will soon dance her last step. I saw the film only once over 30 years, but the way he held her at the end of the film has always stayed with me.

Sorvino was also an accomplished sculptor and opera singer. He was also a proud and protective father to his daughter actress Mira Sorvino. The elder Sorvino had some very choice words for Harvey Weinstein back in 2018 when he blackballed his daughter for refusing his advances. Weinstein is lucky he is in jail rather have to faced Sorvino. 

I leave you with Sorvino singing "Mamma" to his mother at a concert back in 1996. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment