Monday, July 4, 2022

I Shall Do My Best To Enjoy July 4th While It Lasts

In a little while, I shall commence my Fourth of July celebrations by making my way to Newton for a swim at Crystal Lake. When I come back, I shall rest for a few hours before walking to the Mass Ave Bridge to watch the fireworks following the concert at the Esplanade.

I shall do this all too aware we might not have too many Fourth of Julys left to celebrate. A year ago today, I wondered aloud if America would reach its 250th anniversary and the events of the past 365 days have not dissuaded me from this view. 

While the January 6th Committee hearings have made it crystal clear that defeated former President Trump was willing to let a violent mob keep him in power it is equally clear that American voters might freely choose to return him to that office. If Rusty Bowers, who openly admits Trump's claims of voter fraud are nonsense, is prepared to vote for him once more despite all the suffering his supporters put him and his family through then you can bet Mike Pence will want to resume his role as a quisling once Trump gets the GOP nomination. In which case, the events of January 6th are merely a prelude for much worse. Despite Liz Cheney's eloquence, Republicans chose Trump over the Constitution long ago. And if Republicans choose someone other than Trump (i.e. DeSantis) they will perpetuate the view the 2020 election was stolen. In which case, it will only be a matter of time before more people ask, "When do we get to use the guns? When do we get to kill these people?" If more people ask the question it is only a matter of time before we get the answer in the form of a new civil war. 

Should this come to pass what does one do? Does one stay and fight? Or does one flee? Is one safe in a blue state like Massachusetts? Over the weekend, white supremacists marched through downtown Boston and assaulted a black man. Should Trump return to power they will not stand back and stand by

In my case, I do have the option of returning to Canada. But who can say the Tories won't nominate Pierre Poilivere and he leads the Conservatives to a majority government in 2025? What are the chances that Poilivere won't lead Canada down the same road? Should this come to pass then I will be left with only bad choices none of which will end well.

I would like to have a more optimistic outlook, but to have such a view would be engaging in wishful thinking. Nothing short of a national repudiation of Trump and Trumpism would warrant a change in perspective. Alas I don't believe such a rebuke is forthcoming.

With that, have a Happy Fourth of July. Enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment