Tuesday, April 6, 2021

A Year of Social Distancing: A Part of the World But Apart From It

One year ago today, with COVID-19 in its early days, I began social distancing in earnest when I moved out of the apartment I shared with my Dad to an upstairs apartment

At that time I was in New York City only 72 hours removed from having lost my job. I spent nearly seven months in that apartment. While I was not housebound, on most days, I only spent an hour outside the apartment running errands and/or going for walks although I did manage to join a bowling league shortly before my departure. Although walking through Times Square felt like going through an enormous ghost town. Contact with my Dad was sporadic up until my final days in New York City as I embarked upon my new adventure in Atlanta.

In a little over three weeks from now, I will have spent six months in Atlanta. The social distancing has remained intact. I live in a large studio apartment above a garage where I have very little interaction with my landlords. I did engage in bowling (both duckpin and tenpin) when I first arrived but pulled back when COVID cases surged and because of the lack of public safety. I did spend some time with family but this would lead to a COVID scare which would result in me taking a lot of heat at work.

As for work, I go into the office rather than work remotely. Yet on most days I have little or no direct physical interaction with anyone. Most of my contact with the outside world is through Microsoft Team meetings with colleagues and supervisors spread out all over the country. When I do have direct interactions with people I find myself very easily startled. This has made for a difficult adjustment. 

It should be said I have done more than my fair share of social distancing before the pandemic. I spent most of my Saturday nights alone before the pandemic and I spend them alone now. It has been more than five years since I've been to a party on a Saturday night. With the exception of a few concerts, I have spent most Saturday nights at home by myself watching MeTV. On weeknights in both Boston and New York, I took pleasure in swimming. During the course of this pandemic, I have become quite passionate about reaction videos, tai chi and especially Fanny, the 1970's all-female rock band. Writing, as always, remains a constant.

These things bring me joy. I don't drink and don't like loud places where I can't hear myself think. And when I am among people I feel like I am taking up space and in the way. At other times, I find that I wear out my welcome in very quick order. The last thing I want to do is be somewhere I'm not wanted. So I'm more than happy to live tweet cheesy episodes of Buck Rogers in The 25th Century. 

Over the years, I have become more uncomfortable in crowds. I can't quite pinpoint when it happened. Maybe it began after the Boston Marathon attacks. I used to love going to the St. Patrick's Day Parade in South Boston. But the last year I went in 2017, I nearly suffered an anxiety attack when I got stuck in a large swarm of people between West Broadway and East Broadway. I would feel nervous going to concerts especially as venues tightened security measures. It was like boarding a plane. When I would be out I couldn't wait to go back home.

I would estimate that during the course of these past 365 days I have been alone between 90-95% of the time. I'm not unaccustomed to being alone and do not have the need to be around people or talk all the time. But I also recognize that this is not a healthy thing at least at the rate I've been going. I hope to alleviate this after I'm fully vaccinated. My first vaccination is scheduled to occur on April 15th. Best case scenario this would mean I'd be fully vaccinated by Memorial Day Weekend. Assuming this comes to pass perhaps a trip to Decatur would be in order. A trip to Savannah on or before Labor Day Weekend or my birthday would be nice. I will also probably resume bowling on a more frequent basis. I also hope to swim at the outdoor pool in Piedmont Park provided that it is open.

If I do get out more chances are I won't have a great deal more interaction with people and it's probably for the best. I am a part of the world but am apart from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment