Sunday, November 1, 2020

Duckpin Bowling in The Deep South

Back in January, I took a day trip to Connecticut go duckpin bowling and repeated the experience a month later. Sadly, the pandemic precluded any further opportunity to take the Metro North from New York City.

One of the reasons I had hoped to move back to New England was so I could go duckpin bowling on a regular basis (or perhaps take up candlepin bowling if I returned to Boston). 

Of course, I find myself in Atlanta. But as it turns out you can go duckpin bowling in the Deep South. 

This afternoon, I walked over to the Westside of the city to The Painted Duck where I spent an hour duckpin bowling.

There are two key differences between The Painted Duck and Woodlawn Duckpin Bowling in Connecticut and elsewhere in New England as well as the Maryland/Virginia/West Virginia area. 

First, the pinsetters. Whereas Woodlawn uses traditional Sherman duckpin pinsetters, The Painted Duck utilizes string pinsetters. As such The Painted Duck is not recognized as a sanctioned duckpin bowling venue by the National Duckpin Bowling Congress

While I suppose The Painted Duck could have found cannibalized Sherman pinsetters I don't think they could have found someone to maintain them. String pinsetters are a less costly option and less difficult to maintain. 

I look at it this way. Until the 1950's, there were pin boys who picked up fallen pins. I'm sure there were traditionalists who were aghast at mechanization. String pinsetters are simply an evolution in the game. And unless someone is prepared to manufacture Sherman pinsetters once the patent expires then string pinsetters is the only way for the game to grow in any meaningful way.

Besides the lanes at the Painted Duck are the regulation 60 feet. As long as the Painted Duck has that going for it then I consider a bonafide duckpin bowling venue.

The second difference between Woodlawn Duckpin Bowling and The Painted Duck is price. The Painted Duck will cost you a pretty penny. It cost me $40 an hour to bowl ($35 an hour on weekdays) plus $5 for shoes, a 20% gratuity and food. So doing this on a regular basis might not be so viable unless one sees fit to organize a league.

Hmmmn.

Well, until that comes to pass, I can probably afford to do this once or twice a month. I can use all the practice I can get. Frankly, I struggled rolling 39, 54 and 67 with a single spare in the third game. Well, at least I got better as the hour progressed.

I see there is a duckpin bowling alley called Moodright's in Savannah. If I should ever make my way down there that will be on the to do list. 

With respect to tenpin bowling there is a Bowlero which has just opened at Atlantic Station which is about a 45 minute walk from home. I shall check this venue in the not too distant future.

But I will be doing a lot of duckpin bowling while I'm down here. You can bet on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment