Thursday, December 3, 2020

My COVID-19 Scare

I have family here in the Atlanta area and this past Sunday I spent several hours in the company of one f my paternal aunts (whom I had not seen in 7 years) and several of my cousins some of whom I had not seen in more than three decades.

I and those assembled took the necessary precautions - masks, social distancing and handwashing.

But that might not have been good enough. I won't get into the details but yesterday I learned that one of the people in attendance was a tertiary contact with someone infected with COVID-19. I promptly notified my employer and their client of the situation. My employer gave me some heat for not informing my them first, but given the client is onsite and had their own COVID protocols I instinctively notified them first. 

Long story short I was sent home and asked to get a COVID-19 test ASAP. I wanted to get it done at CVS but they were booked solid. So I called a clinic to arrange for a test which cost me $175 (which I will hopefully be reimbursed for through my health insurance). 

Complicating matters was that the clinic was in Buckhead. This meant taking the MARTA for the very first time to an unfamiliar section of town, struggling to find the place and pleading with the clinic to help me locate it as I was running late for my appointment. But I eventually found my destination after I was patched through to a staff member who navigated me to my proper destination.

Upon my arrival, I was going to take a RAPID Test which would have cost $150. But I was advised that test would have only been appropriate 5-7 days after initial contact. So I took the PCR Test for an extra $25 and is a more reliable anyway. 

Today, I worked from home and shortly before the end of the work day I learned I had tested negative. Now I am awaiting word as to when I will be permitted to return to work onsite.

To say that I am relieved would be an understatement although it has probably taken five years off my life. I also know that whatever level of panic and stress I have experienced over the past 24 hours or so pales in comparison to those who have contracted COVID-19 and become seriously ill along with their loved ones lest I neglect those who have lost their lives. Then there are healthcare workers who see COVID-19 all day and all night without end. All things considered I have been very fortunate.

I must admit that notwithstanding the precautions I took on Sunday (along with the precautions I have been taking since the middle of March) I am angry at myself for having put myself at risk in the first place given this country is adding 1 million new COVID-19 cases every six days. Under the circumstances, I will be redoubling my efforts to stay as far away from people as possible be they family, strangers and everyone in between until this pandemic is finally over.

No comments:

Post a Comment