Tuesday, April 27, 2021

In Light of New CDC Guidelines I'll Slowly Begin to Unmask One Month From Today

The CDC issued new mask guidelines today for fully vaccinated people. Those who are fully vaccinated will not need to wear a mask outdoors unless they find themselves in crowded settings or venues.

In my case, barring any unforeseen developments, I will be fully vaccinated in exactly one month from today right before Memorial Day Weekend.

Thus on the morning of Thursday, May 27th, when I walk to work through Piedmont Park, I shall do so without a mask.

Now most people in Atlanta do not wear masks outdoors. However, having spent a good portion of the pandemic in New York City where a statewide mask mandate in all public places went into effect over a year ago, I did not see fit to change my habits when I moved down here almost six months ago. After all, I was healthy, wanted to stay that way and was disinclined to take any chances. But now millions of people have been vaccinated, community spread has been reduced as have hospitalizations and deaths.

Even when May 27th comes by I shall proceed cautiously. My mask will be close at hand. I'll still need it if I go into work or buy something from Whole Foods or any other indoor facility in Atlanta. I also suspect that I'll probably still sport a mask if I'm walking on the BeltLine which can get very crowded especially on a weekend. 

I am looking forward to not wearing a mask outdoors. It is an unnatural act which was borne by necessity. Of course, for some people, even the prospect of death wasn't enough for some people to be moved to wear a mask. 

What I look forward to the most when I removed my mask is to get compliments on my Rollie Fingers inspired handlebar mustache as I used to in Boston and in NYC. The people of Atlanta have not seen it in its full glory. Perhaps it will help break the socially distanced ice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment