Thursday, April 22, 2021

Les McKeown, R.I.P.

Les McKeown, former lead singer of the 1970's Scottish pop band The Bay City Rollers, passed away on Tuesday of unknown causes. He was 65.

McKeown took over as the group's lead vocalist in 1973 and the group would have a string of hits in the U.K. including "Bye, Bye Baby" and "Give a Little Love" before having a transatlantic hit with "Saturday Night" in 1976. 

I first heard "Saturday Night" as the lead off track on a compilation album called Knockout put out by TeeVee Records which was owned by my Uncle Andy. He and my Aunt Diane would send us their surplus. That album also included Glen Campbell's "Rhinestone Cowboy", "Pilot" by Magic and Linda Ronstadt's version of "Rescue Me". But I digress.

McKeown would leave the group in 1978 but would reunite with them for a series of shows in 2015.

Saturday nights will never quite be the same. R.I.P.



No comments:

Post a Comment