Thursday, April 1, 2021

I Still Hate Putting a Runner at Second Base During Extra Inning Games

When the 2020 MLB season commenced last July, I expressed my disdain for MLB's new extra inning rules in which the batter who made the last out of the previous inning begins the inning on second base in scoring position:

If a game goes into extra innings a runner will automatically be placed on second base. I hated it when a similar rule was implemented during the 2017 World Baseball Classic (in which extra innings would start with runners on first and second.) The rationale behind it is that MLB doesn't want to keep players on the field for too long. But if the game cannot be played under its normal rules then why play it at all?

Which brings me back to Mike Flanagan. During his early days with the Orioles, manager Earl Weaver didn't like how Flanagan was holding runners on base. One day while Flanagan was pitching a side session, Weaver suddenly came running out of the dugout and slid into second base. The short sized and short-tempered Weaver shouted, “I just stole second on you.” Flanagan, known for his dry wit, retorted, “How’d you ever get on base?”

Sadly, Flanagan took his own life in 2011. Yet I cannot help but think had Flanagan been still with us and saw how extra innings would work in 2020 that he would react as he reacted to Weaver stealing second when he hadn't earned his way on base.

After getting home from work, I was watching the Dodgers-Rockies home opener. Not being able to stand the not-so-dynamic broadcast duo of Karl Ravech and Jessica Mendoza, I flipped it to the Braves-Phillies home opener. Chip Caray and Paul Byrd were an improvement in the broadcast booth but then in the bottom of the 10th inning I saw Bryce Harper standing on second base. Not because of a base hit, a walk, a hit by pitch or even reaching on an error. But for the sake of expedience.

And I'm not trying to single out Harper. I would have been annoyed seeing anyone on second base without earning their way on. Unsurprisingly, Jean Segura drove Harper home to give the Phillies a cheap 3-2 win in their home opener. 

As long as MLB is played under those conditions I am not going to be inclined to watch. Oh, I'll keep tabs on things. But MLB just doesn't bring me the same joy as it once did. 

Like I said yesterday, I hope someone like DJ LeMahieu takes a stab at Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak. Then again if he passes Joltin' Joe by getting an extra innings walk off hit the wind will forever leave my sails.

No comments:

Post a Comment