Monday, September 14, 2020

Thoughts on Going Bowling For The First Time in Six Months

Earlier this evening, I went bowling for the first time since March 14th.

That's right. I last went bowling six months ago today.

That was three days after I last partook in the Lousy Bowlers Club at Bowlero Queens. It was the night the NBA suspended regular play and that Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson revealed they had COVID-19

In the midst of all this, I signed up for Better Off Bowling which was originally to have taken place in April. Well, good things come to those who wait.

Not only was it the first time I bowled in six months it was also the first time I engaged in any kind of direct socialization since the last night of the Lousy Bowlers Club. The last six months has been spent practicing tai chi, watching reaction videos, discovering the 1970's all female band Fanny and participating in Zoom meetings with The Lincoln Project. All of which has been done from the isolation of the upstairs apartment I've been in since the beginning of April. So I wasn't without trepidation. 

I went to Bowlmor Times Square (where I got bit by the bowling bug last year) and bowled like someone who hadn't bowled for six months. But at least it was familiar terrain and within walking distance. I did get two spares on my last two frames. But I didn't feel so bad about it because no one on our team (The Gutterfingers) managed to roll a strike. 

Although New Yorkers have been permitted to bowl for a month now there are conditions. To promote social distancing, every other lane is kept empty. We were only permitted to bowl for 90 minutes. With six players on our team (we're called the Gutterfingers) we didn't have enough time to bowl two games. The team we were supposed to play didn't show up so we won the match up by default.

I was concerned there weren't measures to limit contact with bowling balls. So I made a point of grabbing a ball and keeping it with me for the duration of the evening.

I didn't have much interaction with my teammates. Perhaps this will change between now and October 19th - fingers, toes and appendages crossed.

I do this with the understanding there is a risk despite all measures which have been taken. Someone could test positive for COVID in the next few days, the whole league could be shut down and I would need to get tested myself. But I will cross the bridge if it comes.

Baby steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment