Monday, April 6, 2020

Social Distancing By Subletting

Today, I literally took social distancing to another level.

I have temporarily moved up several floors to a studio apartment which I am now subletting. The tenant who was up here is now in Long Island with her family for the duration of the Coronavirus crisis for however long that lasts be it month or two or beyond.

Dad had initially thought that this would be a good arrangement after seeing the viral video Mel Brooks did with his son Max on protecting the elderly from COVID-19.


However, Dad reconsidered his position and decided to leave things as they were. But then I developed a cough a few days ago. All of that was happening at the same time I lost my job. It was at that point I suggested we proceed with the plan.

I must say for the record that I believe my coughing owes more to acid reflux in my throat than any viral infection, COVID-19 or otherwise. Consequently, I have made a point of reducing the amount of acidic food I have consumed the past several days as well as gargling with warm salt water and the cough has largely subsided. That and I haven't felt any other symptoms associated with COVID-19.

Nevertheless moving upstairs will give Dad peace of mind. It will also give us some space. It was one thing to share an apartment when I was working full time. It is another to share a small space at a time when the authorities are strongly encouraging people to stay home. It can be difficult for anyone, be it a husband or wife, a mother or daughter or a father and son to be in tight quarters for an extended period of time under the best of circumstances.

Naturally there are some inconveniences. It's one thing to walk up and down one flight of stairs with a suitcase full of laundry. It is another to walk up and down four flights of stairs with a heavy suitcase. Then again I did spend six years living on the sixth floor of a six story walk up when I lived on Hemenway Street in the heart of Boston and carried up laundry and other heavy things over the years. So I'm not in unfamiliar territory. Then there are the neighbors below me arguing on their balcony over dinner. I don't care for noisy neighbors but they too are not unfamiliar territory however annoying it might be especially if it interferes with my sleep. But if it means I live another 50 years it is a very small price to pay.

At least for the moment, I now have enough space to do such fun things as file for unemployment insurance and prepare my federal and state income tax. 

In the grand scheme of things, I am more fortunate than most. I have choices that others do not have. Hopefully these choices will be enough to protect my Dad and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment