Wednesday, April 14, 2021

A Brief Note On My Dad Turning 80



Today, my Dad turned 80 years old. I had hoped to be with him but with work requiring my attention, COVID complicating travel, my first vaccine scheduled for tomorrow and that his birthday fell in the middle of the week conspired against me making my way back to New York City. Maybe I could have done it if I were living in Boston. I know I could have because I did that when I came down to NYC from Boston and took him to see Jerry Seinfeld at the Beacon Theatre for his 75th birthday. Hard to believe five years have passed. I could have popped into NYC if I were living in Boston. That option is not available in Atlanta.

This notwithstanding I spoke with him on the phone during lunch and he was taking a walk through Central Park making his way to Matto Espresso on Lexington Avenue and East 79th Street. That he is keeping active is great. Indeed, it has been a great six and a half years after he nearly lost his life. Dad has been grateful for every day and I have too. I hope to have my Dad's constitution should I be fortunate enough to reach 80. Happy Birthday Dad. May there be many more.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said! Happy 80th to your Dad! My Dad is turning 90 this summer...I don't have the words that you do...but I am so grateful to have had all these wonderful years with him! He has been the best role model in my life! A doctor who cared for all, all his life and a gentle kind soul! What luck to get a Dad like that! God bless!!❤

    ReplyDelete