Thursday, June 13, 2024

Thoughts on Today's Shooting of a High School Graduate in Boston's Seaport District

Early this afternoon, I was alerted by the gentleman with whom I share an office that a young woman had been shot following a high school graduation ceremony a short distance from the building where I work in Boston's Seaport District. 

My colleague had been outside and saw a woman crying on a bench. This was how he learned about what had happened. There was also a large police presence and one of our building's parking garages in had been sealed off. 

The good news is that the young woman's injuries are not life threatening.

The bad news is that the suspect is still at large. 

The Seaport District is a very busy area especially as the weather gets warmer with tourists mixing in with office workers on their lunch breaks. The area is considered safe, and crime is uncommon But, of course, anything can happen anywhere at any time. However, I went outside about 90 minutes later, and you would never have known there was a commotion. 

Today's incident reminded me of the shooting which took at the Arts Center MARTA Station in Atlanta just down the road from One Atlantic Center where I was working at the time. One Atlantic Center went on lockdown. This did not happen in the building where I currently work. I gather Boston Police had determined the shooter had fled the area and there was no further danger to the public. 

I have been in the vicinity of a lot of shootings and other violence but have not been a witness to it nor have I been in any danger. This is said with the knowledge that I live in a country with a great deal of gun violence and that one day my luck might run out. But for the Grace of G-d, I knock on wood and other solid substances.

No comments:

Post a Comment