Sunday, June 2, 2024

George Takei Has One of The Most Resonant Voices I've Ever Heard

 

Last night, I ventured to the Museum of Science in Boston to take in a viewing of the 2014 documentary To Be Takei starring George Takei and his spouse Brad Altman.

To Be Takei explores Takei's early years in a Japanese internment camp, the struggles of breaking through in Hollywood as an Asian American actor, his life as Sulu on Star Trek and feud with William Shatner, his involvement in local politics in Los Angeles and coming to terms with being a gay man and having a loving marriage.

I was struck by what a remarkable constitution Takei had onscreen. Mind you, this was more than a decade ago. I can only hope Takei has the same level of energy at the age of 87. 

To Be Takei does not gloss over his shortcomings. He can be insensitive particularly when it comes to people's weight. Star Trek: Next Generation star Wil Wheaton looked crestfallen when Takei told him he was gaining weight with more than a hint of disapproval. But at least he has a husband who keeps him in line.

Of course, much has changed in the decade since To Be Takei was released. Leonard Nimoy and Nichelle Nichols (who were interviewed for the documentary) have left this world while Donald Trump's only authority was as the host of The Apprentice. 

Takei appeared on The Apprentice in 2012 and given his liberal politics, Takei has been one of Trump's most consistent critics. Following Trump's conviction in New York last week, Takei quipped, "We should start referring to him as 34 instead of 45."

What resonates the most with me about George Takei above all else is his voice. I say this because I occasionally impersonate him. Yes, I do impersonations. Jimmy Stewart is my favorite, but Takei has this smooth lower register which I can mimic.

Yet in all the years I've been impersonating Takei I didn't realize how commanding a voice he truly has especially as he has become a LGBTQ icon over the past 20 years. There is a confidence in his voice which one doesn't hear when watching Star Trek reruns. 

Then and now, George Takei owns one of the most resonant voices I've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment