Sunday, November 1, 2020

Tomorrow I Rejoin The Ranks of The Employed

When I awake tomorrow I will be getting ready to go to work for the first time in 7 months.

Actually it will have been longer than that. I last worked on March 18th when I was abruptly sent home because someone at the law firm where I was working had tested positive for COVID-19. At the time the expectation was that I would be returning to work the following week. I never set foot in the Chrysler Building ever again. On April 3rd, I joined the ranks of tens of millions who lost their jobs due to COVID-19.

Little did I know at the time that I would end up moving more than 850 miles south to start a new job. But here I am in Atlanta

I must also note this is the second time in just over two and a half years I've been in this position after steadily working for more than 14 years

Naturally, I am both excited and nervous about the job. My excitement stems from the fact that it is a Records job with greater responsibility than I've had previously and this is reflected in my compensation. Here's where the nervousness comes in. With increased responsibility and compensation comes increased expectations and those expectations come from both my employer and the law firm to which I have been assigned. It's going to take awhile to get back into the swing of things especially in this COVID work environment. Most of my interaction with people will be over the phone and online. I can hope that patience and forbearance will be in abundance.

Of course, there's a good chance that I will be able to do the job effectively. But sometimes that isn't enough. 

But I am getting ahead of myself. All I can do is take things one day at a time. Should things change at a moment's notice I will have to do my best to go with the flow and make sure I have a paddle. As long as I know what I need to do, when I need to do and have the resources to break it down in a manageable manner then I am confident of success.

All things considered, I am in a very fortunate position. I am wanted and wanted enough that my new employer and their client were prepared to allow me time to relocate and settle in a new city. I am also fortunate in that there are still millions of people who are unemployed who are running out of money with the unwillingness of President Trump and Senate Republicans to provide additional stimulus funds and the extension of enhanced unemployment benefits. Lastly, I am also fortunate to have my health.

With all this good fortune I can sleep easily and wake up ready to go to work.

2 comments:

  1. Best way to live
    don't tell me you need a mask while you're on the phone! Good to here !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm technically not required to wear a mask while I'm in my own office. But for the most part I wore a mask even when on the phone.

      Delete