Sunday, November 8, 2020

I Am Dismayed By Warnock Likening Israel to Apartheid Era South Africa

Only 48 hours ago I noted that I had picked one hell of a time to move to Georgia now that it has become the center of the political universe.

Should Democrats Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock win their runoff elections on January 5th then Democrats will take control of the Senate. I mused about the possibility of volunteering for Ossoff, Warnock or even both of them.

But I now have second thoughts about Warnock. Last year, Warnock was a signatory to a statement which likened Israel to Apartheid Era South Africa after he was part of delegation which travelled to Israel and the Palestinian territories on behalf of The National Council of Churches. The statement claimed Israel's separation barrier was "reminiscent of the Berlin Wall." The analogy is historically inaccurate and defamatory. The Berlin Wall kept East Germans in. Israel's separation fence keeps suicide bombers out. 

I am dismayed by Warnock's stance and unless he reconsiders his position then I cannot volunteer for him much less cast a ballot. It pains me to say it because I don't want Republicans in charge of the Senate. Their inaction on COVID relief measures is unconscionable. But it would be equally unconscionable to vote for someone who believes Israel bears any resemblance whatsoever to Apartheid Era South Africa. 

Fortunately, I still have the option of volunteering for Ossoff. I shall look into what I can do to help him defeat David Perdue whose campaign had the temerity to resort to utilizing an anti-Semitic caricature of Ossoff's nose

Nevertheless, I am profoundly disappointed and dismayed by Warnock's stance.

No comments:

Post a Comment