Friday, November 6, 2020

I Picked One Hell of a Time to Move to Georgia

I arrived in Atlanta only 9 days ago and now Georgia has become the center of the political universe.

This morning Joe Biden pulled ahead of Donald Trump in the vote tally. At this point, Biden has a lead of fewer than 1,000 votes and President Trump would be well within his right to demand a recount. But given the fact that no Democrat has won this state since 1992 this is a remarkable turn of events.

So too is that the fact there will be not one, but two Senate runoffs in the state - Ossoff vs. Perdue and Warnock vs. Loeffler. If Democrats win both races then they take control of the Senate. Warnock's attack ad on himself is shades of the late Paul Wellstone. If he can inject a little levity into the situation then this is going to be one fun time to be alive. It makes me think that I should volunteer for his campaign or Ossoff or perhaps both.

If Trump loses then Republicans will fight tooth and nail to hold on to Georgia and there will be much nastiness. But nothing can match the cruelty of more than 232,000 deaths. Republicans have only exacerbated the misery. The timing of my move to Georgia is auspicious. I think someone's trying to tell me I could be a small part of American political history.

No comments:

Post a Comment