Thursday, November 19, 2020

Ossoff Calls Warnock a Friend of Israel (Some Friend)

Georgia Democratic Senate candidate Jon Ossoff has come to the defense of his fellow Democratic Senatorial candidate Raphael Warnock amid allegations of anti-Semitism. 

In an interview published yesterday by The Forward, Ossoff stated, “Reverend Warnock is a beloved friend and ally of Georgia’s Jewish community and a friend of Israel,” said Ossoff, "Kelly Loeffler’s baseless attacks on the Reverend make me sick.”

Now given the stakes that are involved I suppose that politically speaking Ossoff had to come to Warnock's defense. The control of the United States Senate rides on Democrats winning both races. 

But with friends like Warnock who needs enemies? . Reverend Warnock signed a petition likening Israel to Apartheid Era South Africa. Reverend Warnock wantonly accused Israel of shooting unarmed Palestinians like birds of prey. Those are not the words of a friend of Israel. Senator Loeffler is guilty of many things, but she did not make this up out of whole cloth. 

Now it might be the case that Warnock is in good standing with Georgia's Jewish community by virtue of his position at the Ebenezer Baptist Church. 

Yet Warnock's statements do not sit well with me nor does Ossoff making excuses for him whatever the political expedience in doing so. 

For the record, I recently gave Ossoff a small donation. He will not be getting another. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not voting for either Loeffler nor David Perdue. But as much I don't want Republicans remaining in control of the Senate, I cannot vote for a Democrat if I believe they are hostile towards my people and see fit to single out the world's only Jewish state for criticism. 

And to think that I was so excited about these Georgia Senate races less than two weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment