Monday, April 10, 2017

Having a Flashback on Kung Fu

This past weekend on Decades TV there was a Kung Fu marathon.






It was the first time in over 30 years I had seen the show. I used to watch it with my family on Saturday nights on KBJR, the NBC affiliate from Duluth, Minnesota that we used to get in Thunder Bay, Ontario.


Of course, as with millions of people, it is first thing I think of when David Carradine's name is mentioned. But what always stuck with me was the show's ambience and atmosphere. It had a slow, languid pace. Even the fight scenes were done with a deliberate pace. The Asian music added another level of authenticity. I found the scenery absolutely breathtaking. I was astonished to learn the show was shot entirely at Burbank Studios. Well, Kung Fu made the most of its confines.


When Kung Fu: The Legend Continues aired in syndication during the 1990's it lacked all the atmospheric qualities. Notwithstanding Carradine's presence, it was a run of the mill action adventure show. Although it was actually on the air than the original Kung Fu it made no imprint on the cultural landscape. I mean who would have thought of casting Jose Feliciano and Cannonball Adderley as street musicians in the middle of the desert? Check out the video of this jam with Feliciano on guitar, Adderley on sax and Carradine (who was quite an accomplished musician in his own right) on a home made flute? You would never see something like this on TV today.


Now if you will pardon me, I must have a flashback.

No comments:

Post a Comment