Sunday, April 30, 2017

A Thought for Allison Warmuth

It was a year ago today that Allison Warmuth's life was cut short by a Duck Boat near Boston Common.

Although others knew her far better, nevertheless her sudden death hit me hard. She was a colleague of my mine when I worked at AIG and was one of the kindest people I've ever met. The least I could do was attend her funeral and pay tribute to her kindness in the best way I knew how.

In the 17 plus years I've been in Boston I've never taken a ride in a Duck Boat and I never will. I can't look at them without thinking of Allison. This can be difficult when working downtown as they are a frequent site.

With this in mind, I have done my best to think about all the good she did in her short time here. A few months back at the Massachusetts Paralegal Association holiday party, I met Liz Harrington of the Women's Lunch Place of Greater Boston where Allison volunteered serving meals to homeless women. Evidently, Allison had just finished volunteering there shortly before her accident.

I spoke with Liz about Allison and although she did not know her well she told me she was adored by the guests and staff alike and her passing had inspired others to donate money and volunteer time. Liz told me about a fundraiser which took place this past Thursday evening which I attended.

From this point forward should I see a Duck Boat I will instead try to think of a woman Allison helped at the Women's Lunch Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment