Monday, May 1, 2023

The Pittsburgh Pirates Are The Only Good Thing About The 2023 MLB Season So Far

Prior to Opening Day of the 2023 MLB season in late March, I indicated I would not be following the proceedings and I have not done so. 

However, I did make a few qualifications. Here is one of them:

I plan to acknowledge the winner of the World Series but won't dwell on it at length. There might be some smidgen of interest if it's something out of left field like a Baltimore Orioles-Pittsburgh Pirates World Series and we can party like its 1979. 

Well, with April come and gone, the Pittsburgh Pirates own the best record in the National League at 20-9. The return of Andrew McCutchen has brought out some good feelings and he has responded accordingly and is playing like he did when he won the NL MVP ten years ago. Then there was the feel-good story of the Bucs calling up 33-year old Drew Maggi to make his MLB debut after 13 years in the minors and responded with a couple of hits and a couple of RBIs

Of course, the Pirates could come back down to Earth in May. Maggi has been sent back to Double-AA Altoona. Perhaps McCutchen's legs will grow heavy. 

Then again, McCutchen might have a season for the ages and maybe Maggi will be back in September. 

I won't be following but I will keep my eye out and perhaps have a patch ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment