Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Trudeau Halts Emergencies Act

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has halted the Emergencies Act only 9 days after invoking it and only 48 hours after Parliament ratified it for 30 days. 

The COVIDIOT Convoy was cleared from Ottawa over the weekend after besieging the city for three weeks. Trudeau initially erred on the side of caution after the Act was approved by Parliament expressing concern there could be more convoys planned but is now confident local and provincial authorities can handle any further activity. Despite claims from conservatives in Canada and beyond, Trudeau is no "dictator" and did not keep the measures in place any longer than necessary.

One can make the case that Trudeau ought to have acted sooner. But once he acted he stood firm. There would be no olive branch to the convoy as demanded by interim Tory leader Candice Bergen. Their lawlessness would not be rewarded. The COVID rules will remain in place as long as necessary.

I suspect that if an election were to be held now that Trudeau would earn the majority voters denied him last September. Were I still residing in Canada, I would cast a Liberal vote. 

It isn't so much that my admiration for Trudeau has grown. Rather, my admiration for the Tories has almost completely disintegrated as they are now on the road to being Trumpified siding with an unruly mob over law abiding citizens. The NDP remains too left-wing for my taste. Even if I were so inclined to rejoin NDP ranks, the Liberals are the only viable force strong enough to thwart the Tories. 

I harbor no illusions about Trudeau's Liberals as they are prone to their share of corruption, incompetence and arbitrary policy making. But so long as the Tories insist on embracing Trumpism and the malevolence associated with it, I cannot in good conscience support their ascension to political power. In this case, I suspect Canadians will stick with the devil they know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment