Monday, September 21, 2020

Roy Head, R.I.P.

R&B and country singer/songwriter Roy Head, best known for his 1965 hit "Treat Her Right", passed away today. No cause of death was released. He was 79.

The Texas born Head was largely considered a one hit wonder although he did have two more Top 40 hits in 1965 ("Just a Little Bit" and "Apple of My Eye"). Head continued to work with his band The Traits into the late 1960's. At one point, Head's lead guitarist was Johnny Winter. Head would gradually transition into country music in the 1970's and 1980's. The rest of Head's career was spent on the oldies circuit.

But what a song "Treat Her Right" is. When it is covered by the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Bob Dylan, Sammy Davis, Jr., and even Mae West then you have something special. 

Millennials might be familiar with Head's son Sundance who was the winner of NBC's The Voice in 2016. 

I must confess that I didn't comprehend Head's ability as a dancer. His flexibility was astounding. That should have earned him a more successful career on the charts or more television time. Well, let me treat him right. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment