Saturday, September 21, 2019

After A Year in New York City I'm Trying to Find My Lane

It was exactly a year ago today that I moved from Boston to New York City. For six months, I was paying rent on the old apartment in Jamaica Plain. It took me that long to feel some degree of normalcy. It was only in April that I resumed swimming. It also took me that long to feel comfortable in the new job. Living in close quarters with my Dad has also been an adjustment

The most significant change in the past year has been a new pursuit - bowling. Back in June, the law firm where I work had a company outing at Bowlmor in Times Square. It was the first time I had bowled in 17 years. Somehow I managed to bowl 119 and I was hooked. The following month I took out a summer membership at Bowlmor. There were some struggles. I injured the middle finger on my right hand and then switched to my left hand. It took me until Labor Day weekend to reach 100 again just as my membership expired.

I have decided to explore other bowling lanes. Two weeks ago, I bowled at Shell Lanes off Avenue X in Brooklyn. Very bare bones. But I bowled three games for just over $15. Last week, I took a bowling lesson from an enthusiastic gentleman named Ray Watkins at Whitestone Lanes, a 24 hour bowling lane in the Flushing section of Queens. Today, I went to the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn to bowl at the Gutter Bar.

I was last in Williamsburg in January 2014 to watch the Gene Clark No Other tribute concert at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. There is a tremendous youthful energy about Williamsburg - that is until I got to the Gutter Bar. It was a biker bar. What the hell did I get myself into? My confidence was not further inspired when I was told I had to give them one of my shoes while I bowled. It seemed dodgy, but I'm not going to start an argument in a biker bar.

Besides I was determined to bowl and I did. A woman who was quite intoxicated approached me about my game. I was polite, but got back to my game as fast as I could. She could have been a biker's girlfriend and the last thing I want to do is have a biker accusing me of moving in on his old lady.

The lane conditions were rough. Balls that would have gone into the gutter knocked down pins while balls that should have knocked down pins went into the gutter. Needless to say, I will not be returning to the Gutter either in Williamsburg or Long Island City anytime soon.

But this is trial and error. There are other bowling lanes and neighborhoods to explore. Hopefully there will be friends to be made as well. Perhaps I will join a league. While there are some nice people at work I've not socialized with anyone outside of work related events. Hopefully I can find me a friend in year two in New York City. If that friend is female then so much the better. At this time a year from now I hope to find my lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment