Thursday, October 13, 2016

I Have Added My Name to Scholars & Writers Against Trump

Late last month, my former American Spectator colleague F.H. Buckley established Scholars and Writers for America - an online petition by writers and academics in support of Donald Trump.

In response, Andrew Hazlett has organized Scholars and Writers Against Trump, a website for writers, academics and others persons of letters "who have voted for Republican presidents and candidates" to express our collective disgust and dismay with Donald Trump:

Given our choices in the presidential election, we believe that Donald Trump is the candidate most dangerous to our nation's founding ideals. He is a unique and dire threat to the political principles, liberties, and cultural values of justice, fairness, honesty, and decency we have long defended. We urge you to vote, as we will, for someone else.

This doesn't mean we are in agreement about who we want in the White House. For some that someone else will be Hillary Clinton, for others Evan McMullin and maybe even Gary Johnson whether or not he knows what Aleppo is. Then there are others who will write in a candidate. I find myself in this category and, as I indicated a couple of days ago, I shall write in Ben Sasse & Charlie Baker.

But we are united against the prospect of a Trump presidency and what it would mean for our Republic. With this in mind, today I proudly added my name to Scholars and Writers Against Trump and can only hope this list grows by leaps and bounds between now and November 8th.

No comments:

Post a Comment