Saturday, October 22, 2016

At 90, Mel Brooks Is Firmly In The Saddle

On Saturday, my roommate Christopher Kain and I went to the Wang Theater for a special screening of Blazing Saddles followed by an interview with Mel Brooks himself.

What can one say of Blazing Saddles? I have probably seen it at least two dozen times. I know the movie like the back of my hand and yet no matter how many times I watch it I still laugh. But there's nothing like watch it in a theater full of people.

Naturally, the loudest applause was reserved for the recently deceased Gene Wilder. But there was plenty of applause for the likes of Harvey Korman, Madeleine Kahn and Dom DeLuise who have sadly left this mortal coil.

All things considered, it is amazing that as the oldest cast members, Mel Brooks is last in the saddle. At 90, I was amazed by Brooks' energy, enthusiasm and vitality. Ostensibly, Brooks was going to participate in a sit down interview following the movie. Brooks scarcely had any time for the chair. He could barely sit down spending the majority of the time standing and moving around the stage telling stories. It was hard to believe Brooks had a cold. If this was what he was like when was sick, I can't imagine what he's like when he's fully healthy.

Mel Brooks has lived a full life and yet he has so much more to do.




No comments:

Post a Comment