Tuesday, October 11, 2016

On November 8th, I Shall Write In Ben Sasse & Charlie Baker for President & Vice-President

As someone appalled by both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, but who still wishes to participate in the voting process I was unsure for whom to cast a ballot this year.


I gave some thought to Libertarian Gary Johnson, but the more thought I gave the less desirable he became.


I'm sure Evan McMullin is a nice guy, but I find nothing he's said or done during this campaign to be compelling.


My mother suggested I write in Groucho Marx (a.k.a. Rufus T. Firefly). "The last who ran the place/He didn't know what to do with it/If you think things are bad now/Wait 'til I get through with it."


For awhile, I considered writing in Ted Cruz & Carly Fiorina especially after Cruz's mic drop at the RNC. But then Cruz had to do an about face & so to Fiorina.


With the election four weeks from today, I have decided I will write in Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse and Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker. They are the first GOP Senator & Governor to publicly rebuke Donald Trump, respectively. This has earned Sasse a rebuke from his own party and could cost him his Senate seat down the road. There's something to be said for someone who takes a stand regardless of whether it will be popular or not.


While Baker has no national ambitions, as a Bay State resident, I shall surely vote for his re-election as Governor in 2018 it will be interesting to see what Sasse does in the next few years. But for the moment they stand as honorable men and in that spirit I shall write in their names on my ballot on November 8th.

No comments:

Post a Comment