Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The VP Debate vs. The AL Wild Card Game? This Isn't a Tough Call

If the Commission on Presidential Debates was smart they would have aired the VP debate between Mike Pence and Tim Kaine last night. But instead it will be aired opposite the AL Wild Card game between the Baltimore Orioles and the Toronto Blue Jays. I wonder what the folks in Maryland & Virginia will be tuned into tonight.


For me this isn't a tough call. The O's & Jays will offer athleticism, suspense and an exciting denouement. Pence and Kaine will not. Besides anything Pence says can easily be contradicted by Trump. His word doesn't really count for much.


Don't get me wrong. If there was no post-season baseball, I would watch the debate. But if it's a choice between watching something I am going to get some joy out of against something I know will be devoid of joy I shall choose the former over the latter. Besides it's not like I got a dog in this fight.


With this in mind there's a good chance I could skip both the second and third presidential debates. The second debate will coincide with Game 3 of the ALDS. I will be New York with my Dad and I doubt he would want to watch the debate. The third debate will take place knee deep in the ALCS/NLCS. That one is a judgment call. If there's a clinching game, I'll probably eschew the debate. But if I feel the need to make snarky comments about Hillary and Trump on Twitter I just might tune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment