Thursday, July 18, 2024

I Was Lucky Enough To See & Hear Bob Newhart Perform Live Twice

This afternoon came the news of the death of comedy legend Bob Newhart at the age of 94

The Greatest Generation remember his comedy albums, Baby Boomers and GenXers remember The Bob Newhart Show and Newhart while Millennials and Gen Zers remember his appearances in Elf and The Big Bang Theory. 

I had the opportunity to see and hear perform his old routines at Boston's Wilbur Theatre in May 2014 and November 2016. I wrote about the first experience when I was still contributing to The American Spectator while the latter account can be found here which took place shortly after the Chicago Cubs won their first World Series title in 108 years much to the delight of a man who was born and raised in the Chicago suburb of Oak Park. On this evening, I was joined by my friend and then roommate Christopher Kain.

Christopher sent me a message earlier this evening telling me how glad he was we got to experience his humor firsthand. With that let me pay tribute with his famous "Driving Instructor" routine. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment