Sunday, March 20, 2022

My First St. Patrick's Day Parade in Boston in 5 Years

 


For the first time in 5 years, I attended Boston's St. Patrick's Day Parade. Of course, it must be said this is the first St. Patrick's Day Parade anyone has attended since 2019 with the pandemic cancelling both the 2020 and 2021 editions. 

Under the circumstances, there was a palatable excitement that I haven't witnessed at previous parades I've attended. Keep in mind, my first St. Patrick's Day Parade was exactly 20 years ago and would become a springtime ritual for me even if I was the sober adult in the proceedings.

My custom would be to walk the route of the parade from the Broadway MBTA station up West Broadway onto East Broadway before on the tiny side streets past the Dorchester Heights Monument (which commemorates Evacuation Day) and then onto Dorchester Street to the Andrew MBTA station. For me, this is infinitely more interesting than New York City's St. Patrick's Day Parade which marches up Fifth Avenue.

However, since 2015, the route has been shortened to exclude the side streets leading to the Monument due to weather issues with the exception of 2019. This year's parade also took the shortened route.

In recent years, I have become more uncomfortable attending the parade. I'm not sure if this is a lingering discomfort from the Boston Marathon attack in 2013, just getting older or a result of increased general anxiety. In particular, there is a logjam of people when West Broadway meets East Broadway. When I attended in 2017, I nearly had a panic attack. But I managed to steel myself because I know South Boston's side streets well enough to avoid the largest crowds while still getting a good view.

I adopted these tactics this year. Admittedly living in Cambridge has its advantages. The Red Line did not get jammed until I got to Park Street. Then things slowed down considerably. But I stayed patient and opted to get off at Andrew Station to walk up Dorchester Street and then took the side streets as I approached the junction of West Broadway and East Broadway. I ended up right between the Boston Municipal Court and the Southie Bowl where I do most of my candlepin bowling. Indeed, I was on higher ground and got a much better view than I might have otherwise. 

Of course, other people got the same idea and soon the area was quite crowded and began to feel uneasy. Half an hour was long enough. However, I stayed long enough to have heard an interesting spectacle. For a moment, I thought I heard booing. As it turned, Boston Mayor Michelle Wu was marching in the parade and spectators went "Wuuuuuuu!!!" Kind of like how baseball fans used to chant "Louuuuuu!!!" for Lou Piniella or Lou Whitaker or here in Boston for Lou Merloni. 

Now that I am back in Boston, I think I will continue to attend the St. Patrick's Day Parade for as long as remain here although I will likely partake in it the way I did this year. However, should the original route return next year or some other year I would like walk it one last time just to appreciate it despite whatever unease I might have. I can only hope to have the Luck of the Irish watching over my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment