Sunday, March 27, 2022

I Will Never Look at Will Smith The Same Again

It has been several years since I last watched the Oscars. I rarely see new movies and the only movie up for consideration I saw was Licorice Pizza. 

But the sight of Will Smith slapping Chris Rock in front of a global audience broke the Internet. Some thought it was a work, but uncensored versions of the broadcast from Australian and Japanese TV picked up Smith shouting at Rock, "Keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth!!!"

Moments earlier, Rock had joked about Jada Pinkett-Smith starring in G.I. Jane II. Smith was seen laughing, but this evidently upset his spouse who suffers from alopecia. Then came the slap heard 'round the world.

A short time later, Smith would win Best Actor for his performance in King Richard. In the film, Smith plays Richard Williams the father of tennis legends Venus and Serena Williams. Upon accepting his award, Smith made a point of saying Richard Williams "was a fierce defender of his family" before apologizing to the Academy although pointedly not to Rock. 

I'm sure nothing of any consequence will happen to Smith. Even if he never worked again, he is in a position where he doesn't have to work. 

As for me, I will never look at Will Smith the same again. Smith has had a long career in music, TV and movies and has always come across as a friendly, genial person. Of course no one is perfect and we all have really bad moments which we wish we could take back. But the fact that Smith assaulted Rock in front of billions of people makes one wonder how he behaves behind closed doors. Is this really an isolated incident?

Movies are supposed to offer some measure of escape from reality. But with the pandemic, Republicans questioning the legitimacy of the 2020 election and Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Smith's slap offers us no respite from reality.

Needless to say, I shall continue my practice of eschewing the Oscars and most of the movies and the stars it seeks to honor. Perhaps I should also avoid checking Twitter on Oscar night as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment