Thursday, March 10, 2022

MLB Lockout Ends; Opening Day Set for April 7th

My prediction that there would be no 2022 MLB season will not come to pass. MLB and MLBPA have come to an agreement on a new CBA which last through 2026. 

The highlights include the implementation of the DH in the NL and expanding the playoff format from 10 to 12 teams with the top two division winners in each league getting a bye. The minimum salary and luxury tax shall be increased. Teams are permitted to place sponsors on players' caps and uniforms turning them into walking and running billboards. A joint committee will be struck on the question of defensive shifts, larger bases, a pitch clock and an automatic strike zone. 

Spring training begins tomorrow and Opening Day commences on April 7th - a week behind schedule. There will be a full 162 game schedule with 9-inning doubleheaders making up for lost time. 

I am not particularly excited about these developments. I'm not sold on the DH in the NL or on the playoff format. Nor am I looking forward to shifts being prohibited by committee. Although it is preferable to not having a season at all though I think much of this aggravation could have been avoided had MLB bargained in good faith. Still, I think the owners are happy with Rob Manfred. I'm not to sure how happy the players with Tony Clark.

To be certain, free agent signings (i.e. Freddie Freeman, Trevor Story, Carlos Correa, Clayton Kershaw, et al) will prove sources of excitement. As for me, I'm sure I'll have a small reservoir of goodwill on Opening Day. That is until a game reaches extra innings and a runner is placed on second base even though no hit, walk or error caused the runner to reach base. The long and the short of it is that I probably won't watch much baseball. I don't have plans to go to Fenway Park except perhaps to see Paul McCartney. But I will continue to follow baseball for better or for worse though most likely worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment