Sunday, August 1, 2021

It Was The Rainiest July in Boston in 100 Years

The month of July was far more pleasant than I anticipated. In my second full month back in Boston, the city had its rainiest month in 100 years with more than 10 inches of rain last month with precipitation in 19 out of 31 days. In July 1921, Boston saw 11.69 inches of rain.

The rain was often accompanied by cooler weather. We didn't return to the sub-60 degree temperatures of July 3rd but there were no heatwaves unlike June which was the hottest ever in Boston. It may have been the coolest month I've experienced since February when I was still in Atlanta and for that I am grateful. 

Understandably not everyone was amused with the abundance of rain. Aside from disrupting summer plans there was the issue of flooded basements. But this was a comfortable month for me. Yes, I had my air conditioner and it got more than its fair share of use. Yet when it came time to go outside it wasn't so unbearable. I'm definitely more comfortable in New England than I am down South and for that matter in New York City.

Of course, now that I've said it we'll probably have, as Neil Diamond put, some Hot August Nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment