Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Al Leiter & John Smoltz Won't Get Vaccinated (This Is One of The Reasons I Have Soured on Baseball)


Former MLB pitchers and now analysts for the MLB Network Al Leiter and John Smoltz refuse to be vaccinated against COVID-19. As such they are not allowed in the MLB Network studios in Seacaucus, New Jersey. But the two will continue to work remotely even though MLB and the MLB Network have vaccine mandates in place. It would seem some people are more equal than others. Leiter and Smoltz might provide incisive commentary regarding curveballs but they cannot spin their way out of this one. Does the fact Tom Seaver, Jay Johnstone and J.R. Richard all died of COVID-19 mean nothing to them?

Of course, it isn't just Leiter and Smoltz. MLB's attitude towards COVID-19 is one of the big reasons I have fallen out of love with the game. I didn't like the idea of MLB playing in 2020 and I thought it was especially selfish when Justin Turner joined his Dodgers' teammates out on the field to celebrate their World Series title only hours after learning he tested positive for COVID

Evidently, MLB has learned nothing from last year. Of course, why should MLB be any different than a critical mass of our society who won't wear masks or refuse vaccinations? 

I'm still following MLB from a distance and plan to write my August update tomorrow. But the attitudes of Leiter and Smoltz and the MLB Network letting them get away with it makes me want to further increase my social distance from baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment