Monday, March 25, 2024

Why I Won't Be Going To The Wilbur Theatre Again (Or So Much For That Emmylou Harris Concert)

(via Wikipedia)

Emmylou Harris has been on my concert bucket list for about 30 years now. Tonight, the stars were finally set to be aligned as I was scheduled to see and hear her in concert at the Wilbur Theatre in Boston. I had purchased a ticket from the box office a little over a week ago after attending the Auschwitz exhibit just down the road.

However, as I would learn, just because you have a ticket doesn't mean you're welcome to the show.

I had a bag with me as I often do, and it was subject to search. However, the gentleman searching the bag was rather agitated and said to one of his co-workers, "There's too much shit in here." At which point, I asked, "So what's happening?" 

The fellow said, "Your bag is too large. I'm afraid I can't let you in. Our bag policy is on our website."

"I saw A.J. Croce here back in October with this same bag and had no problem," I pointed out.

The fellow reiterated, "The bag policy is on our website."

I countered, "But I bought my ticket at the box office and the ticket says nothing about bag restrictions."

The fellow, not listening, said, "The bag policy is on our website."

"This is outrageous," I replied. 

One of his colleagues laughed, "Well, you can take your stuff out of your bag and just carry it with you," knowing full well I couldn't do so.

I subsequently called the box office and the woman to whom I spoke reiterated what I had been told outside. She added I could try to have the W. hotel across the street hold the bag for the duration of the concert. I took her advice and went across the street. However, the front desk clerk said they only hold bags for paying guests. I called the box office back but could not get through.

The long and the short of it is that I'm out $75 and left holding the bag.

I will attempt to contact the box office tomorrow again to see if I can obtain a refund. But I doubt this will be forthcoming even I paid for a service and did not receive the service (re: entertainment in the form of a concert). 

In which case, I will contact the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation to see if I have any recourse. 

Needless to say, I am quite unhappy. I expected a joyful evening of wonderful music. Instead, I was subjected to humiliating treatment.

Mind you, I have been going to the Wilbur Theatre for the better part of a quarter century. I first attended the Wilbur Theater in November 2000 for an off-Broadway production of Dinner with Friends with a cast which included Daniel Stern, Dana Delany, Rita Wilson and Kevin Kilner. In the years which have followed, I have seen the likes of Ben Gazzara starring in a one man play about Yogi Berra, America, The Zombies, Kris Kristofferson, Richard Thompson, Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr., The Monkees, Bob Newhart (twice), Jon Andersen and Glen Campbell among many others.

However, in light of this evening's unfortunate events, I shall not do any further business with the Wilbur Theatre regardless of whether I receive recompense. 

I consider myself a very patient and accommodating person. But once certain boundaries regarding fairness and respect are crossed there is no going back to the way things were. It is a matter of principle.

Of course, I don't hold any of this against Emmylou Harris. Such an occurrence could have happened with any performer. I hope an opportunity will come to pass to see and hear her in concert. Perhaps it will. It just won't be at the Wilbur Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment