Thursday, January 4, 2024

Proud Jews Are Not Welcome at Utah Jazz Games

On Monday night, four rabbis attending a Utah Jazz game were told by team officials to remove signs which read, "I'm a Jew and I'm proud."

The Jazz claim the signs violate the team's audience code of conduct because it prevented the game from being played "without distraction or disturbance." Utah was hosting the Dallas Mavericks. Kyrie Irving, known for his virulent anti-Semitism, complained about the signs which prompted the Jazz to admonish the rabbis. However, for his part, a representative for Irving said he did not complain about the signs.

I'm buying neither the Jazz's explanation nor that of Irving.

Had there been signs which read, "I'm a Muslim and I'm proud," would the team have asked patrons to remove them?

Had there been signs which read, "I'm African American and I'm proud," would the team have asked patrons to remove them?

Had there been signs which read, "I'm LGBTQ and I'm proud," would the team have asked patrons to remove them?

Considering that this took place in Salt Lake City, had there been signs which read, "I'm Mormon and I'm proud," would the team have asked patrons to remove them?

The answer is no on all counts.

Except when it comes to Jews. 

Shame on the Utah Jazz for kowtowing to anti-Semitism and contributing to its normalization of it as acceptable behavior in American society.

No comments:

Post a Comment