Friday, July 7, 2023

I Won't Be Signing Up For Threads - For Now

Over the past 48 hours, there have been an estimated 70 million signups to Threads, Mark Zuckerberg's new social media platform launched by Meta to compete with Twitter. 

Needless to say, Elon Musk is spooked and has threatened to sue Meta

As for me, I do not plan to sign up with Threads - at least for now.

There are several reasons which factor into my decision.

First, there is a practical reason. Threads is only accessible by downloading an app and my phone is full of apps I need to use for work. 

But let's assume that in time Threads will be accessible through a web browser. Just because I can use Threads doesn't mean I should. 

Yes, signing up for Threads would probably give my articles a bit more web traffic than they are getting now. While it is tempting to stick it to Musk, Zuckerberg isn't a paragon of virtue either

Threads will invariably become a cesspool like Twitter, and I have little desire to engage with obnoxious people or blithering bots. Of course, I got locked out of Twitter on multiple occasions and just decided to give up. Although I have had generally good experiences on Facebook since joining in September 2019, I fear that my luck might turn should I join Threads. Of course, I resisted joining Facebook for years before joining and when I did, I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner.

Should I eventually join Threads, I might very well wonder the same thing for better or for worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment