Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Venus Williams Showed a Lot of Grit at Wimbledon Despite Her 1st Round Loss

Yesterday, during my lunch hour at work, I watched part of the first set of a tennis match between Venus Williams and Elina Svitolina at Wimbledon on ESPN.

I must confess I had not realized Williams was still playing tennis. After all, her younger sister Serena retired last year after 27 years on the WTA circuit. So, I had to ask myself how old Venus is. Well, I looked it up and was astounded to learn she turned 43 last month. I was equally astounded to learn she has been a tennis pro for nearly 30 years. Let me put it another way. Williams turned pro just over a month after Svitolina was born

As it turned out, before I tuned in, Williams had slipped on the grass near the net and re-aggravated an already injured right knee. Williams appeared to be in considerable pain, she showed considerable grit and managed to win a couple of points against Svitolina before dropping the set 6-4. The Ukrainian born Svitolina, who had a baby last fall in her war-torn country, won the second set 6-3. The match point proved controversial, and Williams refused to shake the umpire's hand. 

While one can be critical of Williams decision at the end of the match, there is no questioning Williams' desire and dedication for tennis. She must have. After all, she has a reported net worth just shy of $100 million. She doesn't need to prove anything to anyone, except that is to herself. 

Indeed, shortly before the start of Wimbledon, Williams declared she planned to play until the age of 50. Some might scoff, but it is a laudable goal. Martina Navratilova played on the tour for 32 years retiring just shy of her 50th birthday in 2006. So, it can be done. It won't be easy, but if anyone can do it, Venus Williams can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment